I am doing a lot of things this week, that I NEVER thought I would or could do! With the transition into Spring, I have noticed that my body was physically exhausted. I felt sore after almost every workout; dreading my workouts; tired all the time. My mind and thoughts could not slow down. My belly was feeling bloated...I was too focused on the food, but at the same time not even really enjoying it. I was not even looking forward to my cup of coffee or my heaping spoonful of nut butter...WHAT??? I had hit a wall, but also had come to a BIG realization. I needed to SLOW DOWN! The infamous Lindsay Cotter has been telling me this for months, but just like everything else in life, sometimes we need to realize that ourselves.
In the past, I would have just pushed through these issues, but I am older, wiser, and more in tuned with my body and listening to what it needs. I also truly believe that things happen for a reason. I started texting my Life Coach that I needed to rest. I needed to detox. I was craving a break and wanted something to make me feel better...refreshed...energized...healthier and stronger. She told me to listen to her latest podcast on "Gratitude and Manifestation". After those 60 minutes, I knew what I needed to do. I needed to SLOW DOWN...To detox emotionally, physically, mentally...To get rid of the drama...To notice old patterns and habits that do not serve me...To acknowledge that when pressure shows up it is a gift!
So when my good friend had mentioned that she and her husband were going to start their Spring Cleanse this week, I was intrigued. Very intrigued...So intrigued that I decided I was in! I cannot believe I agreed to do this because for years I have always said I will never to a cleanse...blah...blah...blah. Never say never...
This blog post is not about what the cleanse entails, it is about why I chose to do this...How I FELT during the cleanse and how I FELT after a week of fully detoxifying. If you want to learn more about the one I followed, you can go here.
I am not going to lie...It is hard!
- No coffee in the morning (I was drinking 2-3 cups) The first day I had headaches...Ouch! But each day gets better and easier and I have noticed that I have great energy when I awake!
- I am tired (especially in the early evening) and the grey, cold, and rainy days are not helping the situation at ALL! The waves of tiredness come and go, but I am okay with that, because I am resting and healing.
- Spoonfuls of ghee every morning...interesting, but I understand why! Thank you, Farm To Gold for supplying me with yours.
- My body has been forced to slow down and it feels so good. My physical activity only involves gentle yoga at Dharma Yoga Nantucket and easy walks with Lucy. It has been relaxing to not worry about what form of torture I was going to endure at the gym. Yes, that was how I was viewing my workouts. So this feels SO GOOD!
- The food I eat is BORING, but I know it is serving a purpose. Thank goodness for all the Cinnamon, Turmeric, and Cumin from Simply Organic Foods! BUT, I can already feel a change. I am not thinking about food like I used to. My cravings and taste buds are changing. I am eating to eat because it is fuel. It is simple. It is necessary. I can feel the changes in my gut, and it is good!
- I am focusing on other things besides my workouts and food! I am taking better care of me. Resting, nourishing, listening, and yes slowing down!
- By letting my body rest, it is under less stress. I am not waking at 5:30 AM...On Wednesday I slept until 7:15 AM and it felt AWESOME!
I am glad that I am not doing this alone, that I have my friends support to bitch and moan when necessary and to eat our boring meals together. But in all honesty, this cleanse is doing what it is supposed to do and it is WHY I chose to do it. Yes, I have my moments of doubt and wonder why the hell I agreed to this...But everything serves a purpose and I know that this one is serving ME!
I am excited to share with you how I felt after this is done...Whether it was truly worth it...What were the negative and positives. I wanted to put together other posts this week, but I just did not have the energy to write about food and working out. So this is what has been going on this week and only a few more days left. It is going to be an interesting journey! XOXO
How are you practicing self-care this week?
Have you ever done a cleanse?